Microsoft Word is the most popular word processor available in the software market today. While Microsoft Word does not feature the full functionality of a page layout program, it boasts many simple processes that help you in arranging the text on the screen. By using guides and rulers, moving specific pieces of text and setting up rules to automatically arrange future sections is achievable. Microsoft provides many Microsoft Help websites that features articles and tutorials for beginners in Microsoft Word.
1. Switch ON your computer system and open the Microsoft Word program.
2. In the View Menu, click on the Ruler option and activate Ruler in the document. This activates the visibility of the Horizontal and Vertical Ruler components in the document.
3. The Ruler has many visual properties that help the user in identifying different adjustments in the document. The beginning point of dark or grey areas in ruler shows the margin point. The dark or grey areas show the non-writable sections of the document.
4. The white or light colored area in the Ruler shows the Writable or Usable areas in the document. Two triangular stops and a rectangular stop at the initiating part of the white section and one triangular stop at the conclusive part can also be seen on the Ruler..
5. Blocking or highlighting the text in an area you want to change before using the ruler guides is good. The highlighting process is not necessary. However, it helps you to select the areas, which should or shouldn’t be changed.
6. Left rectangular and right triangular stops are used to change the margins for the selected areas. This property is very useful in making block quotes and sidebars in a document. This trait of the ruler also helps you to set custom margins for different sections in the document with the help of breaks.
7. You can move the upper left stop to change the intent of the first line in the selected area.
8. Sliding the bottom left triangle is used to create a hanging indent, which will keep all parts of the paragraph indented except for the first line.
9. You can single click on the ruler to make a tab stop or double-click on it to bring up the tab box.
Microsoft Word has a lot of features, Ruler being one of them. Ruler option is very good and simple and if used will increase the efficiency of the user.